Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Connecticut Christmas Ball (Part 5)

The town was buzzing with talk of the upcoming ball. Ivy found that she was actually eager to see what it would be like. She and Gloria drove into town for their final dress fitting. They would be able to take the dresses home tonight, and not a moment too soon considering tomorrow was Christmas Eve, the day of the ball. The snow had been falling steadily most of the day, and Ivy was thankful for Gloria’s four wheel drive pickup truck as they made their way into town on the icy roads. Peg was eagerly awaiting the two women when they finally made it to the dress shop. “Gloria, Ivy! I was afraid the snow would keep you. Can you believe this weather? I don’t mind a good Christmas snowfall, but this is ridiculous!” Ivy and Gloria didn’t have time to answer before Peg rushed them into the fitting rooms.

Ivy’s breath caught in her throat when she saw the dazzling burgundy taffeta gown draped over a nearby chair. The fabric shimmered a deep forest green where the light caught it. Ivy touched the sleek cloth and hoped she would be able to do the dress justice. With some much needed help from Peg, Ivy soon stood in front of the dressing room mirror. Under the tight corset compressing her ribs and the miles of clothing she now wore, Ivy was certainly uncomfortable, but had to agree with Peg, the affect was stunning. Peg left a moment to help Gloria and as Ivy gazed into the mirror she found herself wondering if Trey would think she looked beautiful. She imagined him holding her tightly as he whirled her around the dance floor and a thrill of excitement ran up her spine. Almost as soon as the thought entered her mind, Ivy quickly worked to dispel the image. She didn’t want to think about Trey McBride. She was happy on her own, she didn’t need anyone else. By the time Peg came back to help her take off her gown, Ivy was back in control of her thoughts. With their dresses safely boxed up, Gloria and Ivy made their way out of the shop and back into the wintry weather.

“It’s too snowy out there Gloria, he won’t come tonight.” Back at home, Ivy had spent the evening trying to convince her aunt that Dr. McBride was smart enough to stay away during a snow storm. “But he would have called if he wasn’t going to come; he’s come every day. I hope something hasn’t happened to him.” Almost on cue there was a knock at the door, and Gloria rushed to let in a bundled up figure. Trey pulled off a few layers and then sat on the couch. “Sorry I’m a little late. It took me awhile to get here; I borrowed Dan Bower’s sleigh and horse. The wind has died down and I thought it would be a good night for a sleigh ride. Are you two up for it?” Gloria shook her head. “I think I’m going to save my strength for tomorrow night. Why don’t the two of you go and I’ll make some hot chocolate for when you get back.” Trey frowned and then looked over at Ivy and pleaded, “What do you say Ivy? I hope I didn’t bring that thing all the way over here for nothing!” Gloria grabbed Ivy’s coat from the hook by the door and threw it to her, “Of course she’ll go. She’s never ridden in a sleigh before.” Ivy shot her aunt a glare but began to put her coat on. Trey smiled to himself, and then opened the door for Ivy when she was properly wrapped up.

The sleigh was sitting right outside the door and Trey helped Ivy climb in. There was a warm woolen blanket inside and a roof to keep the snow off of them. He tucked Ivy inside then ran around to hop in. The snow drifted to the ground in massive flakes. A couple of lanterns had been rigged up to the front of the sleigh to act as headlights, bathing the area around them them in a soft glow. Trey gently slapped the reigns against the sleigh and they took off at a slow pace through the snow. The sleigh cut through the snow with ease, and soon Ivy was sitting back peacefully enjoying the silence of the night. She glanced over at Trey and found him staring back at her. She quickly looked away and then said, “Where did you learn to drive one of these things? I didn’t even know people had stuff like this anymore.” Trey gazed at Ivy, hoping to catch her eye again, “I grew up on a farm in Colorado.” This brought Ivy’s eyes to his once again. “Colorado? So far away? What brought you here?” He laughed, “Well usually people go where they can find work. It’s hard being away from family, but I can’t complain. This is beautiful country, and the people here are among the best I have ever met.” Ivy nodded in agreement, “I love it here too. When I was younger I told my parents that I was going to live in Harwinton some day. I always felt like anything was possible here.” She shook her head in dismay, “Funny how things change when you get older and wiser.” Trey looked at her, wondering what brought the hopeless look of despair to her delicate features. He hated to see her beautiful eyes clouded over with pain.

Trey brought the horse to a halt inside a small copse of trees. Ivy looked at him questioningly. “What’s the matter Trey, are we lost?” Unable to control himself, Trey engulfed Ivy protectively in his arms, then drew back and gently caressed her face. “Ivy anything is possible. You should never give up on your dreams, even if they seem childish or impossible.” Ivy wanted nothing more than to believe Trey, sitting like this in his strong arms she almost did, but then the past caught up with her and she pushed him away. “What gives you the right to tell me what is possible? You don’t know anything about it! I’m perfectly happy the way I am.” Now Trey was mad, “Ivy Porter how could you be happy when you refuse to let anyone get through that icy covering you keep around yourself! You are lonely and need someone to care about you besides yourself. Why can’t you see that? Why won’t you let me in?” Ivy stared at him coldly, “You’ve known me for what…a few weeks, and now you’re an expert on what I need? I’m a big girl; I can take care of myself. Now if you would please take me home Dr. McBride, I am tired and would rather not talk to you anymore.” Trey took up the reigns and cracked them against the sleigh, startling the poor horse into a nervous gallop. “As you wish your highness,” he growled, bringing the horse around to head for the farmhouse.

They made the return trip in frustrated silence. As soon as Trey stopped the horse in front of Gloria’s house Ivy jumped out of the sleigh and ran inside. Gloria looked up to see Ivy sprint up the stairs to her bedroom where she launched herself at the bed and began to cry. Gloria went to the window and saw Trey quickly retreating into the darkness. She sat back down on the couch, smiled and then said, “Nice work Dr. McBride; she’s all yours.”

0 comments: