Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Connecticut Christmas Ball (Part 3)

“Thank you Dr. McBride, you are a miracle worker! I have been so worried about Chester. I’m glad it’s nothing too serious.” Gloria patted the old horse’s neck, and then walked out of the barn with Harwinton’s new veterinarian. He dipped his head and smiled, “It’s nothing I’ve done, you’ve taken excellent care of him Mrs. Foster, he’s just starting to wear his age a bit.” Gloria started to walk the young doctor to his car. They chit chatted about the coming holiday as they crunched through the frozen snow. “So Dr. McBride do you have any plans this Christmas?” The doctor shook his head, “Just trying to get settled. I still have a lot of unpacking to do.” Gloria laughed, “A young single man right out of school can’t have acquired too many things yet!” The doctor chuckled and then reached for the handle of his car. “It was nice to meet you Mrs. Foster.” Suddenly Gloria had a brilliant idea, and reached out to stop him. “Dr. McBride wouldn’t you like to come in for a moment and have something warm to drink?” The doctor looked down at his watch, “I could probably spare a moment, and my next appointment is just down the road.”

Gloria showed the Dr. to the door and asked him to sit down. Ivy, who had been working in the kitchen, walked into the front room covered in flour and holding a bowl. “Gloria will you look at this cake batter, it doesn’t look right to me. How did the appointment with the vet…” She stopped suddenly when she saw they had company. “Oh I’m sorry; I’ll just head back to my cave, or dungeon, or whatever you call that torture chamber.” She began to back out of the room but Gloria stopped her. “Come here Ivy I would like you to meet Dr. McBride.” The doctor stood up. Gloria took the bowl from Ivy and motioned to the doctor. “Ivy this is Dr. McBride, will you sit with him a moment while I get us something to drink?”

Ivy looked at the doctor and a glimmer of recognition fluttered through her brain. This was her savior from the airport, the same handsome man who kept her from falling flat on her face when she first arrived. He was smiling warmly at her as he reached his hand out in greeting. “Well if it isn’t the out-of-towner! Ivy is it? I’m Trey; I was hoping we would meet again.” Ivy glanced down at his hand, and was about to shake it when she noticed that her own was covered in partially dried cake batter. He noticed at the same time, laughed and then said, “Looks like you’ve been busy.” She tried to wipe the batter off on her apron with no luck then laughed, “I think Gloria will be sorry she asked me help with the neighbors Christmas presents when she takes a look at the kitchen.” He laughed again, a deep resonating laugh that touched his rich brown eyes.

Still laughing he sat down on the couch and patted the cushion next to himself, “So Ivy, where are you from?” Her heart fluttered inside of her chest as she looked at the handsome doctor and a warning bell went off in her brain. She did not have time for love and frankly didn’t want to get caught in its trap. She walked across the room and sat down in the winged back chair, a safe distance away from the doctor. She put on her best business face as she answered his question. “I came here from Los Angeles; I work as a lawyer there.” His eyebrows rose in surprise. Three seconds ago she had been warm and friendly, and suddenly she was as prickly as a cactus. He saw her smile smugly as he tried to think of a response, and then a light bulb went off in his head. He had not been a veterinarian very long but he had gotten pretty good at reading body language. Besides that he had five sisters back home who had countless numbers of friends. This girl was attracted to him he was fairly certain, but she was fighting it.

This time Ivy’s eyebrows rose in surprise when she saw him look at her intensely and then smile knowingly. “Well to tell you the truth I’ve just come to Harwinton recently myself. I don’t know a lot of people yet but I’ve made a few friends. We’re all heading out tomorrow night, would you care to join us?” Ivy didn’t understand, usually a good lawyer face was all it took to deter anyone from getting themselves involved with her, but he just sat there studying her face, waiting patiently for her reply. “Um,” she stuttered, “I…we…I mean Gloria and I have plans, I won’t be able to go, thank you for asking though.” He smiled serenely at her again and said, “Oh that’s fine, maybe another time then.”

Gloria came back into the front room, setting three steaming mugs on the coffee table. Trey stood up looking at his watch, “I’m sorry Mrs. Foster I really have to get going. I’ll have to take you up on that hot drink another time.” Ivy stood and walked to the door with her aunt to show their guest out. He stopped in front of the door as he shook Gloria’s hand. Gloria looked up and then smiled at her fortunate choice of decoration. It was high time she found her gorgeous niece a little romance. “Well Dr. McBride you are standing under the mistletoe, and we follow strict traditions here.” She grabbed Ivy and thrust her at the young man. “Ivy you’ll have to kiss the doctor.” Ivy stood there blinking at him in stoned faced horror. Trey waited a moment and then leaned forward and gently brushed his lips against hers. He stepped back and grinned. “It was nice to meet you Ivy, and you too Mrs. Foster.” He looked once more into her beautiful green eyes and then turned and grabbed the door handle. “This is going to be fun,” he thought as he let himself out the front door.

0 comments: