Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Connecticut Christmas Ball (Final)

Everyone moved to the ballroom after the stories were finished. The first dance was about to begin, and the ladies eagerly waited for their dance partners. Ivy scanned the floor, looking for Trey. She soon found him with Amanda, waiting for the dance begin. Ivy knew a moment of disappointment. She had hoped he would dance with her for the first dance. One of the other men from the church choir came and asked for her hand during the dance. The music began and Ivy struggled to remember the steps, but soon she was dancing easily. She watched Trey and his partner when she could. The two appeared to be having fun, too much fun. They were laughing and joking. Ivy tried to keep the jealousy at bay, but by the end of the dance, she felt as green as the emeralds in her necklace. She calmed herself by telling herself Trey would come to dance with her soon, but after twelve dances he hadn’t even glanced her way. Ivy knew because she had been watching him the whole night.

It took all of Ivy’s will power to keep from walking up to Trey and demanding him to dance with her. She watched with dismay as Trey made his way back to Amanda Baker’s side and smiled into her big blue eyes as he offered her his arm. What was going on? Why was he dancing with Amanda again when he had not even danced with Ivy once? She was so preoccupied that she kept stepping on the shoes of the unfortunate man who had asked her to dance. She was so angry at the end of the dance that she felt physically ill. She walked to a group of chairs near the wall to sit down. The man calling the dances announced the coming of the last dance. Ivy did not even care about dancing anymore; she just wanted to go home. How could she have been so stupid thinking that Trey was interested in her? He was just being friendly to a lonely woman from out of town, and she had taken it all wrong again! She breathed deeply, trying to keep the tears in that were threatening to escape at any moment.

Ivy was surprised when she saw two shiny black shoes standing in front of her. She looked up and saw Trey, looking extremely uncomfortable. “Hello Miss Ivy, would you do me the pleasure of dancing with me for the last dance?” Ivy felt as if her blood would boil away as she looked up into his face. She stood up and with every bit of control she had left she calmly looked him in the eye, and then quietly said, “Do you really think, Dr. McBride, that would be a good idea? What would Amanda Baker think? I don’t want to risk upsetting her.” Ivy spit the last sentence at him in cold fury, then turned and walked from the room, not even looking back at Trey. She found Gloria and informed her that she would be waiting in the car. She yanked on her coat and walked out into the driving snow. She was done with Trey McBride, and she was never going to think of him again.

Trey was still standing where Ivy had left him on the dance floor when the last dance ended and everyone began to make their ways to their cars. It wasn’t until his friend Caleb came and tapped him on the shoulder that Trey even moved. “Hey Trey it’s time to go.” Trey just looked at his friend, and then he smiled. “I think I did it Caleb, I don’t know how, but I did it.” He looked around and then ran for the door, “Sorry Caleb, I’ve got to go.”

The light snowfall had turned into a full blown blizzard by the time the two women made it to the road but Gloria and Ivy made it home. They took a few moments to place some presents under the tree for Christmas. Ivy could see the exhaustion on Gloria’s face. It was just after midnight, way past Gloria’s regular bedtime. Gloria began to head up the stairs to bed when she suddenly stopped, “Oh no! I forgot to check on the animals Ivy. After Dr. McBride’s story tonight I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I didn’t check on them.” She began to head down the stairs but Ivy stopped her. “Go to bed Aunt Gloria! I’ll check on them for you.” Gloria began to protest, but Ivy ignored her and pulled on her coat and opened the door. “Be careful dear! Stay close to the house!” Ivy shivered in the cold wind then called up to Gloria, “Don’t worry, I’ll be right back, just go to bed and get some rest.” She stepped out into the weather, gathering up her skirt so she wouldn’t step on it. She probably should change first, but she was getting tired and it took forever to get the stupid dress off.

The snow was blowing so bad Ivy couldn’t see a thing. She took her aunt’s advice and stayed closed to the house. Ivy finally made it to the barn and opened the door, quickly shutting it behind her. She found the light switch in the darkness and flipped it on. The animals looked at her sleepily. She walked over to Chester who was near the barn door and rubbed his graying head. “Hey there fella, how are you? Any words of wisdom for me tonight? I could sure use them about now.” Chester just nuzzled her coat, looking for something to eat. She saw a bucket on the floor and pulled out a carrot. “Here you go boy. Merry Christmas.” She patted his neck and then walked further into the barn, checking to make sure nothing was out of place. Satisfied, she was about to turn and leave when she heard a quiet voice behind her. “I was hoping you would come out here tonight.” Ivy spun around, but only found Chester. She stared at the old horse for a moment, telling herself she was crazy for thinking what she was thinking. She walked a little closer and then timidly asked, “Umm…did you say something?”

Ivy was staring at the horse so when the voice came from the door she almost jumped out of her skin. “You left in such a hurry, I didn’t get a chance to talk to you, or dance with you for that matter.” Trey stepped out of the shadows, looking out of place in the barn with his tuxedo on. Ivy let out a shaky breath, “You scared me! I didn’t know you were here.” He stepped a little closer, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to.” He took another step closer. She was feeling a little intimidated standing so close to him. She backed up, but ran into Chester’s stall door. Trey took another step closer; he was too far from her for his comfort. “I didn’t get to tell you how beautiful you look today.” He took another step closer, “In fact I don’t think that I’ve ever told you how beautiful you are period.” Ivy shook her head, trying to keep herself from getting lost in his deep brown eyes. “Please Trey you should go. It’s late.” She meant to sound strong and threatening, but instead she sounded hesitant and weak.

Trey took another step, this time pinning her to the stall door. “Why wouldn’t you dance with me Ivy?” Ivy suddenly remembered that she had a right to be mad at Trey McBride. She glared up at him, “Why did you dance with Amanda Baker twice?” She looked at him accusingly, but his smile just widened. “Amanda Baker has nothing to do with this, why wouldn’t you dance with me?” Ivy put her hands against Trey’s chest, trying to push him out of the way so she could leave. He didn’t budge. Frustrated, she gave up then glared at him again. “Why did you wait until the last dance to ask me?” Trey lowered his face to look into Ivy’s wide green eyes, “I wanted to save the best for last.” Ivy pushed against Trey again, “Please Dr. McBride I want to leave.”

Trey grabbed Ivy’s chin gently and brought her eyes to his. “Ivy Porter stop being so stubborn and listen to me for a moment.” Ivy yanked her chin free. “If you have something to say, say it so I can leave. She looked up at him angrily. He suddenly brought his head down and kissed her tenderly. When their lips finally parted Trey found Ivy clinging to him like a lifeline. He pulled her away so he could look into her eyes again. “I love you Ivy. I think I have loved you from the moment I saw you walking down the runway in those ridiculous shoes.” Ivy laughed as she remembered the first time she had met Trey McBride. She was sure her heart would burst with the love she felt for him now. “I love you too Trey, I must have loved you from the moment we first met, but I didn’t realize it until last night. And then when I saw you dancing with Amanda Baker I was sure you only thought of me as a friend.” Trey grabbed Ivy and hugged her to him. “My beautiful Ivy, I love you so much.” She smiled up at him then grabbed his hand and dragged him out of the barn. “Come on into the house, I owe you some hot chocolate.”

The two somehow made it to the house and stumbled inside. They stood catching their breath for a moment. Trey suddenly reached up and hit the mistletoe hanging between them. “We better not break tradition, it is Christmas you know, and the people of Harwinton are very superstitious.” Ivy kissed him and then sighed as he held her close. “I always knew that Harwinton was a special place.” Trey kissed the top of Ivy’s head and then said. “I didn’t even get to dance with the prettiest girl at the ball.” Ivy laughed and then reached into her coat and pulled out her dance card handing it Trey. “Well that wasn’t my fault.” Trey opened the small book and then beamed at Ivy. She had written his name on every line of the card. He pulled her close and brought his nose to touch her own. “We’ll just have to save this for next year’s ball.” Then he kissed her again.

4 comments:

Shawna and Daniel Bates said...

I loved your story!! Thanks for sharing :) You are very talented!!

Jensen Family said...

Thanks Jenni! I loved reading that story, I was hooked! I agree, you are very talented. So.... when are you posting your next story? :)

Jenn said...

Thanks for reading it! I'm glad you liked it. I admit it was a little cheesy, but all those Christmas stories are, right?!

Moake Family said...

I loved it!!! Keep writing!